Saturday, January 24, 2009

Bourbon for all occasions


So I don't know if its a big dick swingin thing or what, but my friends and I drink a lot of bourbon. Its a very versatile spirit - rocks, splash of water, shot, mint juleps, w/ coca-cola, whatever. Its delicious and pretty much my go-to unless I'm going for drinkability, in which case I drink Miller Lite (Bud Lite is full of shit). So for the non-initiated bourbon seeker, figured it would be helpful to put together a guide of the types of bourbon and the appropriate times to drink them. In order of deliciousness:


Blanton's Single Barrel - To be honest, I don't think many bars have this one. Its the lamborghini of bourbons, and I've only had it a few times, but its smooth as silk. Whenever I have it, I feel like a depressed sorority girl with Ben & Jerry's - just can't get enough.


Knob Creek - Pretty much the most badass thing one can say to a bartender is "Knob Rocks". You might as well drop trou' and flop it onto the bar. Not only is Knob delicious, but its really making a statement. It can cost you though - its not a round you want to pick up for that cheapass buddy who doesnt understand reciprocation.


Woodford Reserve - Woodford is pretty legit. As the official bourbon of the Kentucky Derby, they go through thousands of gallons of this stuff every year. After drinking nothing but juleps for a weekend and sitting out in the sun everybody becomes strung-out crack addicts. 5 juleps equates to about 1 pound of sugar and like 10 shots, so its a recipe for a shaky hand. The other quality thing about Woodford is that for some reason Delta has it on their flights. Not a bad deal for $5.


Maker's Mark - An excellent one. This is the bourbon you go to when you are buying a round.


Evan Williams - Evan is an everyday kind of bourbon. First of all, it is probably the cheapest hooch out there. At 15 bucks a handle, you can't beat it. Its also surprisingly good. Most bars don't have it though for some reason, so its more of something good to have around the house, you know, for emergency.


Jim Beam - Oddly, my girlfriend's favorite. Probably best served as a shot with a PBR in my opinion (known as a "Real Man's Special" in college).


Anyway, Bourbon is awesome. I challenge anyone to come up with something better from the state of Kentucky. And yea, I know I left out a few, but thats the good thing about Bourbon - you can't really go wrong.


Seacrest out.

No comments:

Post a Comment